Growing up at the beach, I have learned over the years what to definitely take with you and what to leave at home when it comes to day trips to the beach. Here are my beach essentials:
1. The perfect beach bag. Beach bags need to be some sort of plastic material. Cloth or cotton bags just don't work well with sand. My bag is made by Mixed Bag Designs and I love it. My friend Sarah gave it to me last year for my birthday. It is big enough to hold a towel, clothes, magazines and everything else!
2. Towel. I usually don't take a chair to the beach just because it's always one more thing to carry along with everything else. Plus, laying on a towel allows you to lay on your back and stomach easily so your tan can be even :) My favorite beach towels are the ones that are really long so your feet aren't hanging off into the sand. My favorite towels are from Target and Nautica
(for some reason I can't get my picture to rotate, sorry!)
3. Sunscreen is very important when going to the beach for the day. At the beach, there is nowhere to escape the sun unless you bring an umbrella. I'll admit, there are days where I don't put on sunscreen but for the most part, this is your most important beach essential. I usually wear Coppertone Sport 30 spf sunscreen.
4. Flip flops. I'm picky about flip flops and over the years, I've accumulated quite a few pairs of Rainbows flip flops. The skinny strap are my favorite style. My skinny strap smooth leather Rainbows are my designated beach shoes. Flip flops are essential to wear to the beach especially on those hot July days when the sand can be scorching hot.
5. Magazines or a book are also important for entertainment. I get really bored while laying out so having something to read or do keeps me occupied long enough to actually achieve a tan. This is what is currently in my beach bag.
6. Water! It is so important to stay hydrated while out in the sun. Always pack something to drink and snacks to eat while at the beach!